Ezourvedam: A French Veda of the Eighteenth Century

That's French for "the ancient system," as in the ancient system of feudal privileges and the exercise of autocratic power over the peasants. The ancien regime never goes away, like vampires and dinosaur bones they are always hidden in the earth, exercising a mysterious influence. It is not paranoia to believe that the elites scheme against the common man. Inform yourself about their schemes here.

Re: Ezourvedam: A French Veda of the Eighteenth Century

Postby admin » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:09 am

Chapitre sixieme

Chapter Six

Chumantou. que puis je repondre a un homme qui porte la folie et l'extravagance å son comble, a un homme tout livré a l'iniquité et qui se fait un cruel plaisir de faire du reste des hommes des reprouvés, et des mal-heureux; un homme droit est sujet a être trompé, parce qu'il juge des autres par luy même. a t'entendre parler quelquefois, on s'imagineroit presque que tu as envie de devenir homme de bien. J'avois même conçu quelques esperances de venir enfin about de te convertir, mais il ne faut qu'un instant pour te reconnoitre tel que tu es en effet, c'est a dire toujours susceptible et egalement enteté des plus grossieres erreurs. retire toy, malheureux, retire toy, puisque tu es encore capable d'offrir ton encens a un tronc de bois, et de l'adorer comme ta divinité, que si tu le deïfie et luy donne le nom de maitre du monde parce que Bichiokormo a force de coups de hache a formé sur luy les premiers traits de la figure humaine, c'est a ce Charpentier que tu dois ton encens et non pas a luy, et en effet nous adorons dieu, parce que nous le reconnoissons et qu'il est le maitre du monde. si donc Bichiokormo peut faire luy même un maitre du monde, il est donc plus puissant que luy; et il est dés lors mutile de chercher ailleurs une autre divinité. ce n'est pas là la seule impertinence, tu nous dis qu'il mange chaque jour une partie des mets qu'on luy offre en sacrifice. mais si le bois mange en effet, pourquoy ne voyons nous pas les vaisseaux qui sont un amas immense de bois devorer dans peu de jours toutes les provisions de vivres qu'on charge sur eux? et si cette piece de bois peut, comme tu le pense, te procurer le Veikuntan que n'y va t'elle prendre place elle même au lieu de se laisser ronger des vers sur la terre, et d'y pourir. tu te suis parfaitement dans tout ce que tu ajoute, lorsque tu dis que le reste même des chiens de ce pays est si pur et a tant de vertu, qu'il purifie dans l'instant ceux qui le mangent; un demon divinisé doit en effet inspirer de pareilles maximes et de pareils usages a ses sectateurs. il n'y a qu'une chose de trop, c'est d'y faire paroitre les Dieux se le disputer. il falloit le reserver tout entier pour toy et tes semblables, car si les Dieux sont avides [de manger] des restes de chiens, il n'en manque pas dans le Chuarguam, ils peuvent se contenter sans tant de frais. Tout ce que tu as ajouté au sujet de l'arbre Kolpo, n'est qu'une fiction ridicule. tu dis que pour obtenir de luy tout ce qu'on veut, il suffit d'en former le desir et de le souhaiter. Si tu pense que ce que tu dis soit en effet vrai, pourquoy viens tu [donc] chercher a t'instruiré auprés de moy? va t'en auprés de cet arbre tu trouvera [là de] la science des lumieres de grands biens, une longue vie, [et] au bout de tout cela le Veikuntan, en un mot tout ce que tu peux souhaiter. tu dis de plus que cet arbre ne vieillit point, qu'il ne meurt point. et tu semble me consulter la dessus pour en sçavoir mon sentiment. il est un moyen plus court, et plus assuré de t'en instruire, prends une hache a la main et va t'en voir s'il t'en coutera plus de le couper ou d'en couper un autre. tu n'es pas assez dupe pour donner dans de pareilles reveries; mais tu compte pour peu de seduire et de tromper les peuples, des que tu peux par lá te procurer quelque avantage. renonce a tout pour joûer desormais un personnage plus digne d'un Bramme, et employe le reste de tes jours a adorer le vrai Dieu et a enseigner la verité.

Chumantou. What can I answer to a man who brings madness and extravagance to its height, to a man completely given over to iniquity, and who takes a cruel pleasure in making the rest of men reproached, and unhappy? A righteous man is subject to being deceived because he judges others for himself. To hear you speak sometimes, one would almost imagine that you want to become a good man. I had even conceived some hopes of finally coming to the point of converting you, but it only takes a moment to recognize you as indeed what you are, that is to say, always susceptible, and also stubbornly holding to the grossest errors. Withdraw toy, unhappy one, withdraw toy, since you are still able to offer your incense to a wooden trunk, and to worship it as your divinity. If you deify it, and give it the name of master of the world because Bichiokormo, by dint of ax blows, formed on him the first features of the human figure, it is to this Carpenter that you owe your incense, and not to him. Indeed, we worship God because we recognize him, and he is the master of the world. If, therefore, Bichiokormo can make him master of the world, he is more powerful than him, and it is therefore useless to look elsewhere for another divinity. This is not the only impertinence you tell. You tell us that he eats every day some of the dishes that are offered to him as a sacrifice. But if the wood does eat, why do we not see the [ship] vessels, which are an immense heap of wood, devour in a few days all the provisions of food that are loaded on them? And if this piece of wood can, as you think, procure the Veikuntan for you, it can take its place there instead of letting worms eat away at the earth, and rotting there. You follow yourself perfectly in everything you add, when you say that the dogs of this country are so pure, and have so much virtue, that they instantly purify the things they eat. A deified demon must indeed inspire such maxims and similar usages in his followers. There is only one thing too much, and that is to make the Gods appear there to argue over it. It was necessary to reserve it entirely for toy and your like, because if the Gods are greedy [to eat] the remains of dogs, there is no lack of it in the Chuarguam; they can be satisfied without so much expense. Everything you added about the Kolpo tree is just ridiculous fiction. You say that in order to get everything you want from it, it suffices to form the desire and to wish for it. If you think that what you say is indeed true, why do you come to me to educate yourself? Go near this tree where you will find [there] the science of lights, of great goods, a long life, [and] at the end of all this the Veikuntan -- in a word, all that you can wish for. You say, moreover, that this tree does not grow old, and that it does not die. You seem to want to consult me ​​to know my feeling. There is a shorter and more certain way of learning about it: take an ax in your hand and go see if it will cost you more to cut it, or cut another. You are not fool enough to indulge in such reveries, but you count for little to seduce and deceive people thinking you can get some advantage. Give up everything to play henceforth a character more worthy of Bramma, and spend the rest of your days worshiping the true God and teaching the truth.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:38 am

Livre huitieme qui contient 5 Chapitres

Eighth book which contains 5 Chapters

Biach toujours egalement charmé des verités qu'on venoit de luy annoncer, voulut s'instruire de plus en plus et s'adressant de nouveau a Chu-mantou luy dit.

Biach, always charmed by the truths that had just been announced to him, wanted to learn more and more and, addressing himself again to Chumantou, told him.

Chapitre premier

First chapter

Biach. Dieu a crée Zomo comme il a crée le reste des hommes. quels ordres luy donna t'il d'abord, et pourquoy en a t'il fait le juge des enfers?

Biach. God created Zomo as he created the rest of men. What orders did he first give him, and why did he make him the judge of the underworld?

Chumantou. Dieu a crée Zomo pour être le juge des hommes. voici les ordres
qu'il luy donna d'abord et ce qu'il luy dit; le vice et la vertu regneront sur la terre, l'un et l'autre merite chatiment, ou recompense, mais ni l'un ni l'autre, ne doit être puni, ni recompensé qu'aprés la mort. aprés ce terrible moment, tous les hommes paroitront a vôtre tribunal et vous examinerez soigneusement leur conduite; vous en trouverez qui auront marchés exactement dans la route prescrite par le Vedan. aprés vous être convaincu de leur fidelité, vous leur ferez un acceuil favorable et leur assignerez la recompense duë a leur vertu. vous en trouverez aussi, qui esclaves de leurs passions s'y seront livrés tout entier sans s'embarasser de ce que le Vedan ordonne ou de ce qu'il defend. vous les punirez de même suivant la grandeur et le nombre de leurs pechés. il s'en trouvera parmi eux qui aprés avoir passé une partie de leur vie dans le peché seront enfin revenu de leurs egarements, auront invoqué mon nom, et auront consacré le reste de leurs jours a faire penitence, vous ferez grace a ceux lå et oblierez les fautes qu'ils auront faites pour ne penser qu'à recompenser leur vertu. mais pour les pecheurs qui vivent dans le crime, qui y vieillissent, et qui  perseverent enfin jusqu'au moment de la mort, sans en avoir fait aucune penitence, vous ne leur ferez aucune grace et les précipiterez dans l'enfer. du reste l'equité sera la seule regle de vos jugements, Elle seule qui tiendra la balance, elle seule qui la dirigera. voila les ordres que Dieu luy a donné, sois donc desormais sur tes gardes et vis de façon a meriter de luy un favorable acceuil et une recompense.

Chumantou. God created Zomo to be the judge of men. Here are the orders
that he first gave him, and what he said to him: "Vice and virtue will reign on earth. Both deserve chastisement or reward, but neither should be punished nor rewarded until after death. After this terrible moment, all men will appear in your court and you will carefully examine their conduct. [b][size=120]You will find some who will have walked exactly in the route prescribed by the Vedan. After having convinced yourself of their fidelity, you will give them a favorable reception and assign them the reward due to their virtue. You will also find some who, slaves of their passions, will have given themselves up entirely to it without worrying about what the Vedan orders, or what it defends. You will punish them in the same way according to the size and the number of their sins. There will be some among them those who after having spent part of their life in sin will finally come back from their errors, will call my name, and will devote the rest of their days to doing penance. You will give thanks to them, and forget their faults, and think only of rewarding their virtue. But for the sinners who live in crime, who grow old there, and who finally persevere until the moment of death without having done any penance, you will do them no grace, and will precipitate them into hell. Moreover, equity will be the only rule of your judgments. She alone will hold the balance. She alone will direct it." These are the orders that God gave him, so be on your guard from now on, and live so as to deserve a favorable welcome and a reward.

Biach. C'est a quoy je dois en effet penser serieusement, si je veux éviter les chatimens que je n'ai que trop merités. Continuez donc, Seigneur, a me frayer la route que je dois tenir pour cela, sans quoy je ne puis manquer de me perdre et de périr. Je sçais cependant un moyen pour se tirer d'entre les mains du Roy des enfers, mais je crains qu'en vous le proposant d'allumer votre colere, et d'attirer de nouveau, sur moy, votre indignation. ce moyen dont je n'ose vous parler est cependant en usage et plusieurs s'en sont déja bien trouvés. en voici leprecis.il y a dans le pays appellé Maguodechan (ce pays est a l'ouest de Chandernagor, et en est eloigné d'environ 25. journees.) il y a dis je dans ce pays un lieu sacré, il suffit d'y faire quelques offrandes pour delivrer ses ancêtres de l'enfer. C'est l'être suprême luy même qui a paru dans cet endroit sous la figure d'un géant d'une grandeur monstrueuse, pour procurer aux hommes quelques soulagements dans leurs peines et dans leurs tourments.

Biach. This is what I must indeed think of seriously, if I want to avoid the chatimens that I have too deserved. Continue, therefore, Lord, to clear the road for me that I must take for that, without which I cannot fail to lose myself and perish. However, I do know a way to get out of the hands of the King of Hell, but I fear that by telling you, I will kindle your anger, and draw your indignation again upon me. This means, which I dare not tell you about, is however in use, and several have already found it to be successful. Here is the precise one. In the country called Maguodechan (this country is to the west of Chandernagor, and is distant from it about 25 days) there is a sacred place, where it suffices to make some offerings there to deliver one's ancestors from hell. It is the very Supreme Being who has appeared in this place under the figure of a giant of monstrous grandeur, to give men some relief in their sorrows and torments.

Chumantou. Je n'ay jamais rien entendu de tout cela et je ne sache pas qu'aucun homme savant en ait jamais parlé. fais moy donc part de cette merveille et dis moy ce que tu en sçais toy même et ce que tu en a enseigné?

Chumantou. I have never heard of any of this, and I do not know if any learned man has ever spoken of it. So tell me about this marvel, and tell me what you even know about it, and what you taught about it.

Biach. Sur la fin du 3.eme âge on vit paroitre dans le Maguodechan, un géant d'une grandeur prodigieuse. ce géant n'avoit reçu naissance de personne et existoit par luy même, il occupoit environ 2 lieues 1/2 de pays a l'oûest du torrent appellé Mohanodi. c'etoitlà qu'il avoit fixé sa demeure. La tête de ce géant luy trembloit continuellement, et ce tremblement faisoit tout trembler, les dieux, les hommes, les montagnes, les mers, les fleuves, les arbres, les oiseaux, tout trembloit avec luy et tout étoit dans la crainte et la consternation. Indro, qui ne se croyoit pas en sûreté dans le Chuarguam sefit accompagner de tous les dieux, vint le trouver luy mit le pied sur la tête et luy dit: qui êtes vous, d'ou etes vous, et pourquoy vous voit on trembler sans cesse? faites attention que ce tremblement jette les hommes et les Dieux dans la consternation, faites ledonc cesser, etje vous accorderai telle grace que vous pouvez souhaiter. a ces paroles le géantjetta un grand cri, et luy dit d'une voix terrible, pense a te sauver toy même, et garde tes graces pour qui les voudra. cette menace fit une telle impression sur Indro, et tout ce qu'il y avoit de Dieux qu'ils furent sur le champ metamorphosés en pierres, et qu'on lit encore sur leurs visages, la crainte dont ils furent penetrés. Le Dieu Bramma vint en suite, et chercha par de bonnes manieres et de bonnes paroles å engager le géant å faire cesser ce tremblement; mais il ne fit que le redoubler. Bramma, a cette vuë tout saisi de crainte se tint caché sans dire mot. Chib vint ensuite accompagné de tout ce qu'il y a de Demons, le geant en les voyant, jetta un cri tel qu'on se crut être a la fin du monde. a ce cri, tous les demons prirent la fuite. Chib se voyant seul, fut penêtré de crainte et s'humiliant devant le géant luy dit, Seigneur, ne me faites aucun mal, je serai votre esclave le reste de mesjours. Le géant le voyant humilié devant luy, accepta son offre et ne luy fit aucun mal.

Biach. At the end of the 3rd age we saw appear in the Maguodechan, a giant of prodigious size. This giant had received no birth from anyone, and existed by himself. He occupied about 2-1/2 leagues of country to the west of the torrent called Mohanodi. It was there that he had fixed his abode. The head of this giant trembled continually, and this trembling made everything tremble: gods, men, mountains, seas, rivers, trees, birds, all trembled with him, and all were in awe and dismay. Indro, who did not believe himself to be safe in Chuarguam, accompanied by all the gods, came to find him. He put his foot on his head and said to him: "Who are you? Where are you from? And why do we see you cease? Take care that this trembling doesn't throw men and Gods into consternation. So stop it, and I will grant you such grace as you can wish for." At these words, the giant uttered a loud cry, and said to him in a terrible voice, "Think of saving yourself, and keep your graces for whoever wants them." This threat made such an impression on Indro, and all the Gods, that they were immediately transformed into stones, and one can still read on their faces the fear with which they were penetrated. The God Bramma followed, and he sought by good manners and good words to engage the giant to put an end to this trembling, but he only redoubled it. Bramma, at this sight, and seized with fear, hid himself without saying a word. Chib then came accompanied by all the Demons. The giant, seeing them, uttered a cry such that we thought we were at the end of the world. At this cry, all the demons fled. Chib, seeing himself alone, was bowed in fear, and humbling himself before the giant said to him, "Lord, do me no harm. I will be your slave the rest of my life." The giant, seeing him humiliated in front of him, accepted his offer, and did him no harm.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:55 am

Chapitre deuxieme.

Chapter two.

Biach. Le Géant continua a branler la tete et a jetter par là la terreur dans tous les coeurs. Chrixnou le maitre du Veikuntan n'etoit pas plus tranquille que les autres et ne s'y croyoit pas en sureté. que faire, disoit il, en luy même, ou aller? et quel moyen employer pour venir about de detruire un géant quijette partout l'epouvante et la terreur. aprés bien des reflexions et des inquietudes, il prit enfin la resolution de venir sur la terre, il se prosterna d'abord en presence du Géant et luy dit, Seigneur, je viens vous demandar vos bonnes graces. J'ai en même terns quelque chose d'impôrtant a vous dire si vous voulez bien me le permettre de vous le communiquer. qu'est ce donc que tu peux avoir a me dire, repondit le geant! parle, je te permet de dire tout ce que tu voudra. permettez moy de vous demander d'abord, reprit Chrixnou, qui vous êtes? quel est votre nom? quel est votre pere? et pourquoy vous ne cessez jamais de trembler? Je n'ay point de pere, repondit le Geant, je ne dois l'être qu'a moy-même et je m'appelle Goja. Si tu veux savoir encore quelle est la grandeur de mon corps, je vais te le dire, mes pieds touchent a l'endroit où le Gange fait sajonction avec la mer. mon nombril porte sur la ville Pourouchottomo et ma tête est icy. je suis venu sur la terre pour le bonheur des hommes, et le lieu que j'habite actuellement sera desormais le lieu par excellence, le plus sacré de tous les lieux et portera mon nom. toy et tout ce qu'il y a de Dieux ferez icy votre demeure. tels sont mes ordres, telle estma volonté. Nous nous ferons, Seigneur, repondit Chrixnou, un plaisir et un devoir de nous y soumettre et de les executer de point en point. je veux de plus, reprit le géant, qu'on transporte icy tout ce qu'il y a de biens et de richesses dans le Chuarguam et en particulier l'arbre Kolpo, car j'ai consacré le lieu que j'habite, et je ne veux point qu'il y manque rien de tout ce qui peut servir å le rendre respectable. Si tu veux sçavoir plus en particulier la cause dema venuë sur la terre, la voicy. j'ai été temoin des tourmens horribles que les damnes souffrent dans l'enfer, j'en ay été touché et j'ai formé le dessein de les en delivrer. voicy ce que j'ai determiné pour cela, et les moyens queje veux qu'on mette enusage. que tous les Dieux soyent attentifs et que [tous] les hommes les mettent en pratique sans y manquer. quiconque offrira sur ma terre, c'est a dire, sur les 2 lieues 1/2 de pays qu'elle occupe actuellement, une bouilie faite avec de la farine de ris ou de froment, de beurre, de sucre et [des marrons ou] des figues å ses ancêtres morts, il obtiendra par lá leur delivrance, cela est certain [et] on ne doit point former lå dessus aucun doute. en faisant cette offrande, on recitera la priere suivante, et on dirá: vous tous qui du nombre de mes ancêtres expiez dans les tourments les peches que vous avez commis, je fais cette offrande pour soulager vos peines et vous en delivrer, vous tous qui morts par les armes, ou d'une mort naturelle portez encore la peine de vos peches, je fais cette offrande pour háter vôtre delivrance, et vous procurer un sort plus heureux. vous tous enfin qui tous livres au crime êtes morts dans votre peché, et qui n'avez point de posterité, pour procurer vôtre salut, et votre delivrance, je prends aujourd'huy leur place, et fais cette offrande en vôtre nom, puissiez vous voir par la la fin de vos peines et de vos tourments. Ceux qui feront cela dans le lieu, et de la maniere queje viens de prescrire, obtiendront surement le salut, et la delivrance de leurs peres, de leurs meres, de leurs ancêtres et de tous ceux pour qui ils s'interesseront, que s'il arrive qu'un seul homme, ne fut-ce qu'une seule fois fasse cette offrande sans fruit, parce que quelque Dieu y aura mis quelqu'obstacle, je paroitrai une seconde fois sur la terre, je jetterai par tout comme je fais aujourd'huy la terreur et l'epouvante. mais ce seront principalement les Dieux qui ressentiront les effets de ma colere et que j'accableray de maux. le torrent appellé Mohanodi sera aussi un lieu sacre, et aura le pouvoir, et la vertu de pardonner les peches. Celuy qui offrira un sacrifice pour les morts sur la montagne Noire que tu vois devant tes yeux, obtiendra par lá, non seulement le pardon des peches de son pere, et de sa mere, mais encore de ses propres peches, enfin parce que toy Vichnou, tu es venu ici armé d'une espece de rondache, tu y portera le nom eternellement de Godadori. voila le moyen que j'avois a vous proposer et que les hommes le mettent en pratique pour tirer leurs parents des mains du Roy des enfers; je leur en ay fait moy meme des lecons, et les ay assure que ce moyen etoit efficace pour delivrer leurs ancêtres de leurs peines et de leurs tourments. Je vous dirai deux mots avant que de finir, des qualités et des vertus de l'arbre Kolpo. tout le monde sait que c'est un arbre du Chuarguam, qui ne meurt point, une des ses racines est venue a Goja, et a formé un second arbre. tout perit a la fin de chaqué åge, cet arbre seul subsiste, et ne meurt jamais, il paroit a Goja, sous la figure d'un arbrisseau toujours naissant, il ne porte point de fruits comme le font la plus part des autres arbres, mais il en donne de plus precieux, et il en accorde a un chacun l'objet de tous ses voeux.

Biach. The Giant continued to shake his head and thereby threw terror into all hearts. Chrixnou, the master of Veikuntan, was no quieter than the others, and did not believe he was safe there. "What to do," he asked. Even he didn't know where to go, and what means to employ to come to destroy a giant who throws terror everywhere. After many thoughts and worries, he finally made the resolution to come to earth. He bowed himself first in the presence of the Giant and said to him, "Lord, I come to ask for your good graces. I have at the same time something important to say to you, if you will allow me to communicate it to you." "What can you have to tell me?" asked the giant! "Speak. I allow you to say whatever you want." "Let me ask you first," resumed Chrixnou, "who are you? What is your name? Who is your father? And why do you never stop shaking?" "I don't have a father," replied the Giant. "I can only be one by myself, and my name is Goja. If you still want to know what the size of my body is, I'll tell you. My feet touch the place where the Ganges meets the sea. My navel is on the town of Pourouchottomo, and my head is here. I came to earth for the happiness of men, and the place where I now live will henceforth be the place par excellance, the most sacred of all places, and will bear my name. Toy, and all that there is of Gods, will make their home here. Such are my orders. Such is my will." "We consider it, Lord," replied Chrixnou, "a pleasure and a duty to submit to them, and to execute them point by point." "I want, moreover," continued the giant, "that we transport here all the goods and wealth in Chuarguam, and in particular the Kolpo tree, because I have consecrated the place I live in, and I want that nothing is missing that can serve to make it respectable. If you want to know more in particular about the cause of my coming to earth, here it is. I witnessed the horrible torments which the damned suffer in hell. I was touched by it, and formed the design to deliver them from it. This is what I have determined for it, and the means I want to use. That all the Gods be attentive, and that [all] men put them into practice without failing. Whoever will offer on my land, that is to say, on the 2-1/2 leagues of country it currently occupies, a porridge made with rice or wheat flour, butter, sugar, and [chestnuts or] figs to his dead ancestors, he will obtain their deliverance; that is certain, [and] there should be no doubt about it. In making this offering, we will recite the following prayer, and we will say: 'All of you who, among my ancestors, atone in torments for the sins you have committed, I make this offering to relieve your sorrows, and deliver the dead by arms, or of a natural death who still bear the penalty of your sins, I make this offering to hasten your deliverance, and to procure for you a happier lot. All of you, finally, who committed to crime, and died in your sin, who have no posterity, to procure your salvation and your deliverance, I take their place today and make this offering in your name. May you see the end of your sorrows and your torments.' Those who will do this in the place and in the manner that I have just prescribed, will surely obtain the salvation and deliverance of their fathers, their mothers, their ancestors, and all those for whom they are interested. But if it happens that only one man, even once, makes this fruitless offering, because some God will have put some obstacle there, I will appear a second time on earth and I will throw everything as I do today into terror and dread. But it will be mainly the Gods who will feel the effects of my anger, and whom I will overwhelm with evils. The torrent called Mohanodi will also be a sacred place, and will have the power and the virtue to forgive sins. He who will offer a sacrifice for the dead on the Black Mountain that you see before your eyes, will obtain not only the forgiveness of the sins of his father, and of his mother, but also of his own sins. Finally, because toy Vishnou came here armed with a species of rondache, you will bear the name of Godadori eternally."

Here is the means that I had to propose to you, and that men put into practice to get their parents out of the hands of the King of Hell. I even taught them lessons, and assured them that this means was effective in delivering their ancestors from their pains and torments. I will tell you two words before I finish about the qualities and virtues of the Kolpo tree. Everyone knows that it is a tree of Chuarguam which does not die. One of its roots came to Goja and formed a second tree. Everything perishes at the end of each age, but this tree alone remains and never dies. It appears in Goja under the figure of an ever-emerging shrub. It does not bear fruit like most other trees do, but he gives something more precious, and he grants to each one the object of all he wishes.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:18 am

Chapitre troisieme.

Chapter three.

Chumantou. J'avois raison de dire qu'aucun savant n'avoit jamais parlé de l'histoire que tu viens de me raconter. Ce n'est en effet qu'un tissu et qu'une source de peches, et il n'est que les ignorants et les sots qui donnent dans de pareilles reveries; tu dis d'abord que ce géant occupoit 2.1/2 lieuës de pays, ce pays etoit pourtant habité alors comme il Test encore aujourd'huy. comment accorder l'un avec l'autre? tu veux que le tremblement de sa tête ébranle la terre et le Chuarguam. tu nous depeint les Dieux penetres de crainte et de frayeur et cependant tu leur fais quitter le Chuarguam ou ils se croyoient pas même en sureté, pour les faire venir devant luy, et luy mettre les pieds sur la tête. tu a publié a toute la terre que ces mêmes Dieux sont immortels, et tu nous les represente aujourd'huy metamorphoses en pierres. tu as parlé dans cent occasions de Bramma, et de Chib, et tu as dit tout autant de fois qu'ils étoient Tun et l'autre, l'être suprême, et tu nous les fais voir aujourd'huy, l'un penetré de crainte se cacher dans un coin et n'oser plus souffler, l'autre pour se sauver se fait pour le reste de sesjours le domestique et l'esclave d'un géant. Chrixnou enfin ce Dieu favori a qui tu as tant de fois prostitué le nom d'etre suprême, a qui tu as fais faire tant de grandes actions, detruire tant de géants jouë aujourd'huy le même personnage que les autres, et est penetré comme eux de crainte et de frayeur. que repondré a un homme qui tombe dans de si grossieres contradictions, et qui pour mettre du merveilleux a chaqué histoire qu'il debite, tombe dans le ridicule et dans l'insensé? tu fais dire au géant, qu'il n'a point de pere et qu'il ne tient l'être que de luy même, mais celuy qui est par luy même est nécessairement l'être suprême, pourquoy donc luy fais tu joûer un personnage ridicule? pourquoy luy fais tu regretter le sort des pecheurs qui brulent dans l'enfer puisque e'est luy même qui les y condamne, et qu'il n'auroit qu'a dire une parole pour les en delivrer? tu fais ajouter au géant d'autres impertinences, et luy fait dire que ceux qui offriront sur sa tête une bouilie faite avec de la farine de ris &c. soulageront par lå les peines de leurs ancêtres et les en delivreront. mais en premier lieu, les morts ne mangent point, il est donc inutile de leur offrir quelque chose; et si tu es capable d'en douter, on a tous les jours des morts devants les yeux; il est aisé de fen convaincre. en 2e lieu, l'arrêt que Dieu porte aprés le moment de la mort est un arret irrevocable, et quand une fois on est tombé en enfer on n'en sort jamais. Voila une verité que Dieu nous å annoncé luy même. pourquoy donc tramper les hommes et les precipiter de propos deliberé, en leur apprenant a ne point craindre cet enfer ni le peché qui les y conduit, de plus selon toy même les ancêtres sont dans l'enfer, et c'est sur la terre qu'on fait pour eux des offrandes. comment donc des offrandes faites sur la terre peuvent elles penetrer jusque dans l'enfer pour parvenir jusqu'à eux et les soulager dans leurs maux? Si cela étoit en effet possible, pourquoy ne voyons nous pas les Rois emporter avec eux leurs richesses? pourquoy Dieu nous assure t'il qu'il n'est que le peché et la vertu qui nous suivent aprés la mort? avons nous une fois fermé les yeux pour toujours, biens, richesses, honneurs, plaisirs, parents, amis, femmes, enfants, tout nous quitte et nous abandonne. et ríen encore une fois ne nous suit, et ne nous accompagne que nos pechés, ou les vertus que nous aurons pratiquées. voila encore une verité que Dieu nous a annoncée, et dont nous nous convainquons par nos propres yeux; mais que Dieu nous annonce une verité ou non, ce n'est pas ce qui t'arrête, ny ce qui t'embarasse. il y a longtems que je m'en apperçois. mais au moins pour parler consequem-ment, tu aurois du ordonner d'offrir de l'eau aux ancêtres, non pas du ris, et en effet, plongés dans des flammes devorantes, ils y souffrent une soif qui les devore. de quel usage peuvent être pour eux le ris, et les autres presents qu'on leur offre. l'eau serviroit au moins a etancher leur soif et a l'eteindre. mais tu n'y trouverois pas ton avantage; et pour te le procurer tu ne crains pas de precipiter des millions d'ames dans cet Enfer sous pretexte de vouloir soulager celles qui sont déja et de travailler a les en delivrer. Ce que tu ajoute a ce sujet du torrent des vertus que [tu] luy attribuë, [et] des sacrifices que tu veux qu'on offre de nouveau dans cet endroit, est egalement faux. L'eau n'est jamais que de l'eau et est la même dans tous les torrents et tous les fleuves. il n'y a donc nul avantage d'offrir des sacrifices, sur le bord de celuy-la, plutôt que sur le bord d'un autre, ou pour parler plus juste, il est parfaitement mutile d'en offrir nulle part. ny les torrents ny les fleuves, quels qu'ils puissent être, ne peuvent contribuer en rien a la remission de nos peches. Dieu seul peut nous les pardonner, luy seul peut nous empécher de tomber en enfer, et par lå nous en delivrer. mais une fois qu'on y est tombé, on y est pour toujours. Un homme vertueux se fait un devoir d'instruire les hommes, et de leur enseigner la verité, et toy, malheureux tu t'en fais un de les precipiter dans les plus grossiers erreurs.

Chumantou. I was right to say that no scientist had ever spoken of the story you just told me. It is indeed only a fabric and a source of sins, and it is only the ignorant and the foolish who give into such reveries. You say first that this giant occupied 2-1/2 leagues of country. This country was nevertheless inhabited then as it still is today. How to match one with the other? You want the shaking of his head to shake the earth and the Chuarguam? You portray to us the Gods penetrated with fear, and yet you make them leave Chuarguam where they did not even believe themselves safe, to make them come before him and put their feet on his head. You published to all the earth that these same Gods are immortal, and you represent them to us today metamorphosed into stones. You have spoken a hundred times of Bramma, and of Chib, and you have said just as many times that they were one and the other, the supreme being, and you make us see them today, one penetrated with fear, hiding in a corner, and not daring to breathe; the other, in order to save himself, becomes for the rest of his life the servant and slave of a giant. Chrixnou, finally, that favorite God to whom you have so often prostituted the name of supreme being, to whom you have made so many great deeds, destroy so many giants, played today the same character as the others, and is penetrated as they are with fear. What is the reply to a man who falls into such gross contradictions, and who, in order to put the marvelous in each story he tells, falls into the ridiculous and into the insane? You make the giant say that he has no father and that he only holds being from himself, but he who is by himself is necessarily the supreme being. Why then do you make him play a ridiculous character? Why do you make him regret the fate of sinners who burn in hell since it is he himself who condemns them there, and he would only have to say one word to deliver them from it? You make the giant add other impertinences, and make him say that those who will offer on his head a porridge made with rice flour & c. will thereby relieve and deliver the pains of their ancestors. But in the first place, the dead do not eat, so it is useless to offer them anything; and if you are able to doubt it, every day we have the dead before our eyes; it is easy to convince. In the second place, the judgment which God brings after the moment of death is an irrevocable judgment, and once someone falls into hell, he never leaves it. Here is a truth which God announced to us even. Why therefore tramp men and precipitate them deliberately, by teaching them not to fear this hell or the sin which leads them there? Moreover, according to toy, even the ancestors are in hell, and it is on the earth that offerings are made for them. How then can offerings made on earth penetrate into hell to reach them and relieve them of their ills? If this was indeed possible, why do we not see Kings taking their riches with them? Why does God assure us that it is only sin and virtue that follow us after death? Once we close our eyes forever, goods, riches, honors, pleasures, parents, friends, women, children, everything leaves and abandons us. and once again nothing follows us, and accompanies us only our sins, or the virtues that we have practiced. Here is another truth that God has announced to us, and of which we convince ourselves with our own eyes. But whether God tells us a truth or not, that's not what stops you, nor what bothers you. I have noticed it for a long time. But at least to speak consequently, you should have ordered to offer water to the ancestors, not laughter, and indeed, plunged in devouring flames, they suffer there a thirst which devours them. Of what use can laughter be for them, and the other presents offered to them? The water would at least serve to quench their thirst. But you would not find your advantage there; and to obtain it you do not fear to precipitate millions of souls into this Hell under the pretext of wanting to relieve those who are already there, and to work to deliver them from it. What you add on this subject of the torrent of virtues that [you] attribute to it, [and] of the sacrifices that you want to be offered again in this place, is also false. Water is the same in all torrents and rivers. There is therefore no advantage in offering sacrifices, on the edge of one water, rather than on the edge of another, or to speak more correctly, it is perfectly useless to offer them anywhere. No torrents or rivers, whatever they may be, can contribute anything to the remission of our sins. God alone can forgive us for them. He alone can prevent us from falling into hell, and deliver us from it. But once you've fallen into it, you're there forever. A virtuous man makes it his duty to educate men, and to teach them the truth, and you wretch, you make it a point to precipitate them into the grossest errors.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:08 am

Chapitre quatrieme

Chapter Four

Chumantou. pour donner du credit aux differents endroits que tu veux rendre celebres, il faut duper les ignorants par le recit de choses merveilleuses, et leur promettre des biens que tu sais bien qu'ils n'obtiendront pas. l'arbre Kolpo est pour cela d'une heureuse invention. mais bien sot celuy qui s'y laisse prendre. tu fais descendre cetarbre merveilleux du Chuarguam, tu luy attribue I'immortalité et le pouvoir d'accorder aux Dieux, et aux hommes tout ce qu'ils peuvent desirer. mais si cet arbre a en effet ce pouvoir, pourquoy ces mêmes Dieux se sont ils donnés tant de peines pour se procurer l'immortalité? pourquoy attendent ils pour se rassasier que les hommes leur fournissent eux mêmes a manger? pourquoy les habitants de ce Goja, qui ont egalement toujours cet arbre devant les yeux, prennent-ils tant de peines, essuyent-ils tant de travaux pour amasser des richesses, ou même pour gagner leur vie? pourquoy viens-tu toy même t'instruire auprés de moy? pourquoy enfin ordonner des sacrifices pour la delivrance des morts, [et] prescrire pour la remission des peches tant de differentes pratiques qui ne sont propres qu'a faire mourir les vivants? L'arbre Kolpo peut procurer tout cela, et il n'en coute pour l'obtenir que de le souhaiter! homme pervers et vraiment indigne de l'être, peux tu porter la fourberie jusqu' a cepoint et te faire un plaisir et un amusement de tromper les hommes d'une maniere sy grossiere, et par la de les perdre, et de les damner? L'arbre Kolpo est un arbre de même nature que les autres. etant sans connoissance, comment peut-il savoir ce que tu luy demande? et ne le sachant pas même, comment peut-il te l'accorder? que s'il te reste encore quelque doute la dessus, tu a des arbres dans ta maison, adresse [leur] tous tes voeux et tes prieres, et tu verra quel sera le fruit que tu en raportera. mais pourquoy te faire des leçons la dessus? tu n'es pas assez bete pour ignorer ce qui en est, en effet. tu sais aussi bien qu'un autre qu'une montagne n'est qu'un monceau de pierres; que l'eau d'un fleuve ne difiere en rien de l'eau d'un autre fleuve; que tout ce que tu enseigne n'est qu'un vrai tissu de mensonges et d'erreurs. mais la cupidité et l'envie de paroitre savant te dominent et te font sacrifier a ta vanité ou de legers avantages jusqu'à l'åge des hommes, et leur salut. reviens pour ton interêt et pour celuy de bien d'autres d'un égarement si prodigieux et persuade toy bien aujourd'huy qu'il n'est de science que celle qui nous apprend a connoitre Dieu, qu'il n'est de vraie grandeur qu'a le servir, qu'il n'est d'action vertueuse que celle qu'il nous å luy même prescrite par sa loy; qu'il n'est que celle la qui merite les recompenses, et qui puisse nous assurer un sort vraiment heureux après la mort. persuade-toy de plus que l'homme n'a point de plus grand ennemi que le peché; qu'il ne doit avoir rien de plus cher que son ame; et que pour la sauver, il doit même sacrifier ce qui le touche de plus prés. que de toutes les passions enfin celle contre laquelle il doit être le plus en garde, c'est la cupidité et l'envie de s'enrichir, parce qu'il n'en est point qui nous entraine dans un plus grand nombre de peches, tout est eternel dans Dieu, tout est infini. Ses connoissances comme ses volontés ne changent point. il a connu de toute eternité ce qu'il connoit aujourd'huy, et ce qu'il a voulu une fois, il le voudra toujours. toutes ses autres perfections portent le même caractere. Sa sagesse comme sa puissance, sa justice comme sa bonté sont egalement infinies, [elles doivent donc produire des effets infinis,] au moins dans leur durée. et voila le principe et la cause de l'eternité des peines et des recompenses. Dieu recompense en Dieu, et parce qu'il recompense en Dieu, il doit recompenser toute l'eternité, ce qu'il ajugé une fois être digne de recompense, ce n'est aussi qu'en le servant que nous pouvons nous procurer une heureuse immortalité et une eternité de bonheur! heureux donc ceux qui s'etudient å le connoitre, et qui s'appliquent å le servir, ceux la seuls sont vraiment savants, vraiment grands, vraiment respectables, et meritent seuls d'etre respectes. Dieu en nous donnant sa loy nous a marqué la route que nous devions suivre pour parvenir å cette eternité de recompenses. le livre qui contient cette Loy s'appelle le Vedan, il n'est dans le fond qu'un seul Vedan, mais comme quatre differentes personnes se le sont partagé pour l'enseigner aux hommes, et le transmettre a la posterite, on luy a donné quatre noms differens qui expriment les differentes matieres que chacun a entrepris de traiter. ainsi comme le second Vedan, nous apprend å craindre Dieu et å le respecter, et a le prier avec humilité, on a donné å celuy lale nom de Chama Vedan. J'ai repondu a tout ce que tu m'a demandé, et si quelqu'un trouve que nous pensons tous les deux d'une maniere bien differente, il en trouvera la raison dans les differents motifs qui nous ont animés l'un et l'autre. c'est la vanité, l'orgueil, et l'interêt qui t'ont fait mettre au jour tant de volumes; aussi n'a tu enfanté que des monstres. le desir de detromper les hommes et de les sauver, est le seul motif qui m'a fait entreprendre cetouvrage: aussi n'ai-je consulté que la verité. c'est elle seule [qui conduit ma plume et qui m'a inspiré, c'est å elle seule] que je consacreray le reste de mes veilles et de mes travaux.

Chumantou. To give credit to the different places you want to make famous, you have to trick the ignorant by telling them wonderful things, and promise them goods that you know they won't get. The Kolpo tree is therefore a happy invention. But a man is a fool who lets himself get caught. You bring down this marvelous tree from Chuarguam, you attribute to it immortality and the power to grant to Gods and men whatever they can desire. But if this tree does indeed have this power, why did these same Gods go to so much trouble to obtain immortality? Why do they wait to be satisfied, when the men provide them with food themselves? Why do the inhabitants of this Goja, who always have this tree in front of their eyes, go to so much trouble and work, to amass wealth, or even earn a living? Why do you even come to learn from me? Why, finally, order sacrifices to be delivered to the dead, [and] prescribe for the remission of their sins so many different practices which are only suitable for killing the living? The Kolpo tree can provide all of this, and it costs nothing to get it unless you want it! Perverse man, truly unworthy, how can you carry deceit to this point, and give yourself the pleasure and amusement to deceive men in a crass way, and thereby lose and damn them? The Kolpo tree is a tree of the same nature as the others. Being without knowledge, how can it know what you ask it? And not even knowing it, how can it grant you anything? If you still have any doubt about it, you have trees at your house -- address all your wishes and prayers to [them], and see what fruit is brought back. But why teach you lessons on it? You are not stupid enough to ignore what is a fact. You know as well as anybody else that a mountain is only a heap of stones; that the water of one river does not differ from the water of another river; that everything you teach is just a tissue of lies and mistakes. But cupidity, and the desire to appear learned, dominate you, and make you sacrifice your vanity to gain small advantages at the expense of man's salvation, until the consequences for so many of such a prodigious error comes back and persuades you today that there is no science except that which teaches us to know God; that there is no true greatness but to serve him; that there is no virtuous action except that loyalty which he himself prescribes to us; that he is the only the one who deserves rewards and who can assure us a truly happy fate after death; he is the only one who can persuade man that he has no greater enemy than sin; that he should hold nothing dearer than his soul; that in order to save his soul, he must even sacrifice what touches him most closely; and finally, that of all the passions, the one man must guard himself against the most is greed and the desire to enrich himself, because there is nothing that leads us into greater sin. Everything is eternal in God. Everything is infinite. His knowledge and his wishes do not change. He has known from all eternity what he knows today; and what he once wanted, he will always want. All his other perfections bear the same character. His wisdom like his power, his justice like his goodness, are also infinite [they must therefore produce infinite effects], at least in their duration. And this is the principle and the cause of eternity's penalties and rewards. God rewards in God, and because he rewards in God, he must reward for all eternity that which he judges to be worthy of reward. It is also only by serving him that we can obtain a happy immortality, and an eternity of happiness! Happy, therefore, are those who study themselves to know him, and who apply themselves to serving him. Those alone are really learned, really great, really respectable, and alone should be respected. God, by giving us his loyalty, marked out for us the road that we had to follow in order to reach this eternity of rewards. The book which contains this Loy is called the Vedan. It is basically only one Vedan, but as four different people have shared it to teach it to men, and transmit it to posterity, it has been given four different names which express the different subjects that each has undertaken to deal with. Thus, the second Vedan teaches us to fear God and respect him, and to pray to him with humility. To this we have given the name of Chama Vedan.

I have answered everything you asked me, and if someone finds that we both think in a very different way, they will find the reason for it in the different motives which animated us both. Anything else is vanity, pride, and the interest which made you bring to light so many volumes so that you only gave birth to monsters. The desire to undeceive men and save them is the only motive which made me undertake this work, so I only consulted the truth. It is truth alone [who guides my pen and who inspired me, it is to her alone] that I will devote the rest of my watches and my work.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:53 am

Chapitre cinquieme

Chapter Fifth

Biach. vous m'avez appris ce que c'etoit que les Vedans. apprenez moy maintenant ce que c'est que le supplement des Vedans?

Biach. You taught me what the Vedans are. Teach me now what the supplement to the Vedans are?

Chumantou. les Vedans contiennent tout ce que les hommes doivent savoir et tout ce qui peut servir a les instruire. mais comme il n'est pas possible de traiter de tout dans le corps de chaque Vedan, chacun a son supplement dans lequel il traite en particulier des choses dont il n'a point été parlé dans le corps des Vedans, et ou il donne a celles qu'il n'avoit fait qu'ebaucher toute l'etendue qu'elles doivent avoir. voila ce qu'on appelle Oupobedan, c'est å dire supplement du Vedan.

Chumantou. The Vedans contain all that men need to know, and all that can be used to instruct them. But as it is not possible to deal with everything in the body of each Vedan, each has its supplement which deals with particular things which have not been spoken of in the body of the Vedans, and where he had only given a sketch, he gives the extent they should have. Here is what is called Oupobedan, that is to say, supplement of Vedan.

Biach. je sais encore un moyen de se sauver, et je veux vous en faire part. du reste une infinité de personnes le mettent en usage, et le font avec succés.

Biach. I still know a way to save myself, and I want to let you know. Besides, an infinite number of people use it, and do it with success.

Chumantou. pour moy j'ai toujours cru jusqu'icy qu'il n'y avoit que nôtre fidelité a garder la loi de Dieu, qui put contribuer a notre salut. mais ce n'est jamais lå le moyen que tu te propose. voyons donc ce que tu a å me dire.

Chumantou. For me, I have always believed until now that it was only our fidelity to keep the law of God which could contribute to our salvation. But this is never the means that you propose to yourself. Let's see what you have to say to me.

Biach. il y a sur la terre un petit arbrisseau appellé Toulochi. je vais vous raconter une partie de ses grandeurs. ecoutez avec attention ce que j'ai å vous dire. Cet arbrisseau est la femme de l'être suprême; et parce qu'il n'a point son semblable, on luy donne le nom de Toulochi toulona nasti oto ebo toulochi voici l'usage qu'on en doit faire. dés qu'une personne sera en danger de mort, on ira chercher un de ces arbrisseaux. on le mettra sur un pied d'estal, on luy fera le sacrifice, puis ensuite on donnera a manger un peu de sa racine au mourant. on prendra des feuilles, et on luy en mettra sur le visage, sur les yeux, sur les oreilles, et sur la poitrine. on trempera dans l'eau une de ses branches; on en aspergera le mourant, et on repetera plusieurs fois de façon qu'il puisse l'entendre, le nom de Toulochi. ceux a l'egard de qui on fera cela, seront surement sauvés. ce n'est pas la le seul avantage que les hommes [re] tirent de cet arbrisseau, il suffit de le voir pour obtenir le pardon de tous ses peches, de le toucher pour être purifié de toute sorte de souillures, de luy faire la reverence pour être gueri de toutes sortes de maladies. et celuy qui l'arrosera tous les jours est assure de ne voir jamais le Roi des Enfers. presenter å Vichnou dans le cours du mois de Kartiko une branche de cet arbrisseau, c'est luy faire un present qui luy est aussi agreable, que si on luy presentoit mille vaches. Luy presenter une branche de ce même arbrisseau ornee de sandale dans quelque tems que ce puisse être, c'est s'assurer le droit de devenir semblable a ce même Vichnou et de jouïr du même bonheur. enfin presenter une branche de Toulochi å un homme qui est exposé a quelque danger, ou qui essuye quelque traverse, c'est luy mettre en main un moyen d'eviter tout danger et de se delivrer de toutes sortes de maux.

Biach. There is a small shrub on the earth called Toulochi. I will tell you about some of its greatness. Listen carefully to what I have to tell you. This shrub is the wife of the Supreme Being; and because there is nothing similar to it, it is given the name of Toulochi toulona nasti oto ebo toulochi. Here is the use that should be made of it. As soon as a person is in danger of death, we will go and find one of these shrubs. We will put it on a stand, we will sacrifice it, then we will give a little of its root to the dying person to eat. We will take the leaves, and put them on the face, the eyes, the ears, and on the breast. One of its branches will be dipped in water, then sprinkled on the dying person, while repeating the name of Toulochi several times so that he can hear it. Those to whom we do this will surely be saved. This is not the only advantage that men derive from this shrub. Seeing it is enough to obtain forgiveness for all sins; touching it purifies one from all kinds of defilements; reverence for it cures all kinds of diseases; and whoever waters it every day is sure to never see the King of the Underworld. To present a branch of this shrub to Vishnu during the month of Kartiko, is to give him a present which is as agreeable to him as if one presented him with a thousand cows. To present him with a branch of this same shrub, adorned with sandalwood at any time whatsoever, is to secure the right to become the same as Vishnu, and to enjoy the same happiness. Finally, to present a branch of Toulochi to a man who is exposed to some danger, or who suffers some crossing, is to put in his hand a means of avoiding all danger, and of getting rid of all kinds of evils.

Chumantou. es tu yvre? ou es tu tout a fait devenu fou? et quel fruit me promettre des peines que je me donne d'instruire un homme qui n'est plus dans son bon sens! tu dis que le toulochi est l'epouse de l'être suprême,une pareille impertinence ne merite pas de reponse. Dieu est un pur Esprit qui ne souffre point de melange, et n'a ny corps ny figure. il est invisible de sa nature et ne desire rien hors de luy même. a quel usage donc luy donner une femme? mais c'est la ta manie de le raprocher en tout des hommes et de luy approprier leurs vices, et leurs passions. je veux bien t'accorder que l'être suprême a une femme. mais ce ne seroit pas un arbrisseau qui seroit la femme de l'être suprème; et s'il l'etoit en effet, le verroit-on quitter le ciel pour venir naitre sur la terre dans l'ordure et dans le fumier? S'il suffit de regarder le toulochi ou de luy faire la reverence pour obtenir le pardon de ses peches, et la delivrance de tous ses maux, il ne devroit y avoir ny malades ny pecheurs sur la terre, et il est mutile d'avoir des medecins et de les consulter. on trouve du toulochi partout jusque dans les lieux communs et dans les cimetieres. que ne met-on donc en usage le moyen que tu propose. celuy la est bien peu a plaindre qui reste dans le peché ou dans les souffrances, dés qu'il ne doit luy en couter qu'un coup d'oeil, ou une reverence pour s'en delivrer, tu ajoute qu'en offrant å Vichnou une branche de Toulochi dans un certain mois de l'année, on deviendra semblable a luy. fais-en toy même la preuve, et devenu tout d'un coup un nouveau Vichnou, tu aura le plaisir de recevoir les sacrifices des hommes et de te faire adorer. Non tu n'es, mal heureux, que la honte et l'opprobre de ta Caste, et tu n'es sur la terre que pour la perte des hommes et pour leur malheur. je finis par te repeter un conseil que je t'ai déja donné tant de fois. puissai-je le faire aujourd'huy avec plus de fruit! tu as employé la plus grande partie de ta vie a seduire les hommes, et a les tromper, employe ce qui te reste a les detromper et a les sauver. La mort vient a grands pas, et aprés la mort, il n'est plus de nouvelle naissance ny de nouvelles vies. attache toy donc a Dieu, attache toy y pour toujours, et ne t' attache qu'a luy.

Chumantou. Are you yvre, or have you gone completely crazy? And what fruit for the pains that I give myself to educate a man who is no longer in his common sense! You say that the toulochi is the wife of the supreme being. Such impertinence does not deserve an answer. God is a pure Spirit who does not suffer from mixture, and has neither body nor figure. He is invisible by his nature and desires nothing outside of himself. What use would it be to give him a woman? But it is your mania to bring him closer to men in everything, and to appropriate to him mens' vices and passions. I am willing to grant you that the Supreme Being has a wife, but it would not be a shrub; and if she was, would we see her leaving heaven to come to be born on earth in filth and manure? If it suffices to look at the toulochi, or to reverence it, in order to obtain the forgiveness for one's sins, and the deliverance from all evils, there should not be anyone sick or sinning on the entire earth, and it would be useless to have doctors consult them. Toulochi is found everywhere, even in common places and cemeteries. Why do we not use the means you propose? He is very little to be pitied or listened to who remains in sin or in suffering, when but a glance, or a little reverence for Toulochi could get rid of it. You add that by offering Vishnou a branch of Toulochi in a certain month of the year we will become similar to him. Then prove it, and suddenly become a new Vishnu, so you will have the pleasure of receiving men's sacrifices and being adored. No, you are badly happy, the shame and opprobrium of your Caste, and you are on earth only for the loss of men and for their misfortune. I end up repeating to you a piece of advice that I have already given you so many times. Could I do it today with more fruit? You have spent the greater part of your life seducing and deceiving men, use what remains of it in undeceiving and saving them. Death is fast approaching, and after death there is no new birth or new life. Attach toy therefore to God, attach toy forever, and attach yourself only to him.

Biach. S'il vous reste, Seigneur, encore quelque bonté pour moy, faites moy la grace de me dire ce que c'est que le mariage, et comment on doit le celebrer.

Biach. If you still have, Lord, some kindness for me, do me the grace to tell me what marriage is, and how it should be celebrated.

Chumantou. L'essence du mariage consiste dans le consentement des deux contractants. on ne doit donc rien conclure sans les avoir consultes, et sans savoir s'ils ont de l'inclination l'un pour l'autre, et s'ils veulent s'epouser. La premiere chose qu'on doit donc observer, c'est d'exiger leur consentement mutuël, et dés qu'ils s'en seront expliques en presence de nombre de personnes graves et vertueuses, on les conduira de fleurs d'or, et de pierreries, on les conduira de jour et jamais de nuit au temple, et la en presence de tous les parents un Brame savant recitera au nom du pere la priere suivante: Dieu maître du monde, Dieu createur et conservateur de toutes choses, nous sommes tous l'ouvrage de vos mains; et personne ne peut disposer de soy ny d'un autre, que par vos ordres et suivant vôtre volonté. Je suis votre creature, je vous en fais mes hommages: cette fille l'est aussi, et elle vous appartient plus qu'à moy. Je ne veux donc en disposer que selon votre consentement. Daignez, mon Dieu, nous faire connoitre quels sont vos desseins sur elle, et s'ils s'accordent avec les notres. Daignez benir un mariage, que nous faisons sous vos auspices et selon votre volonté. Cette priere finie, et tous les parents ayant donnés leur consentement, le Pere fera le don de sa filleau futur epoux, et [celui-ci] dira alors a la nouvelle épouse: que votre volonté soit toujours conforme a la mienne. aprés quoy on les conduira a la maison, au son des instruments. voila en quoy consiste le mariage, et ce qui doit s'y pratiquer.

Chumantou. The essence of marriage is the consent of the two contracting parties. One should therefore not conclude anything without having consulted them, and without knowing whether they have an inclination for one another, and if they wish to marry. The first thing that must therefore be observed is to require their mutual consent, and as soon as they are explained in the presence of a number of serious and virtuous people, they will be led with flowers of gold, and of precious stones, they will be taken to the temple by day, and never by night, and in the presence of all the parents a learned Brame will recite the following prayer in the name of the father: "God, master of the world, God creator and custodian of all things, we are all the work of your hands. No one can dispose of anyone else, except by your orders and following your will. I am your creature. I pay you my respects. This girl is too, and she belongs to you more than to me. So I only want to dispose of it with your consent. Deign, my God, to let us know what your designs are for her, and if they agree with ours. Deign to bless a marriage which we make under your auspices and according to your will." This prayer finished, and all the parents having given their consent, the Father will make the gift of the future husband, and [this one] will then say to the new wife: "May your will always be in accordance with mine." After that they will lead them home to the sound of instruments. This is what marriage consists of, and what should be practiced there.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:52 am

Index of Indian Terms in the Ezourvedam

Note. "K." refers to Willibald Kirfel: Die Kosmographie der Inder, Bonn-Leipzig: Schroeder, 1920 (reprint: Hildesheim: Olms, 1967).

Aborto. Āvarta (K. 112 Ävartana) 112
Adimo. Ādima 113, 124
Ajou. Āyu(s) 185
Ajudo. K. 120 Āyurdā 127
Ambro. ämra 118
Amroutam. amrta 162, 163, 164, 166, 167, 168, 169
Argioko. K. 118 Āryakā 127
Bachuki. Vāsuki 163, 165, 169, 170
Bamon. Vämana 121, 122, 123
Bana. Bänä(?) 124
Bargobo. Bhärgava 128
Baroto (Barato). Bharata 112
Baroto Borcho (Barato-Borcho). Bhäratavarsa 112, 152
[Baudistes 171
Bedo. vedha 131
Benna. K. 68 Venā 112
Biach (Biache). Vyāsa passim
Bichiobahu. Visvabāhu 190
Bichiokormo. Visvakarma 193, 194, 195
Bikonto. Vikuntha 124
Bikouko. bhiksuka 139
Bimo. Bhīma 126
Bimoroti. Bhīmarathī 112
Bindaboli. Vindhyāvalī 122
Bindochuktiman. K. 61 Vindhya, Suktimat 112
Bitiotro (Biliotro). Vītihotra 127
Bitolo. Vitala 140
Bochisto. Vasistha 176, 179
Bochudebo. Vasudeva 152
Bodoriko (Bodariko, Boderiko, Boderico). Badarikā 114, 147
Bodra. Bhadrā 112
Bodro Borcho. Bhadravarsa (?) 112
Boguiroto. Bhagīratha 120
Boirobo. Bhairava 126
Boli (Boly). Bali 122, 123, 140
Bollodechan. ? 187
Bolobadroko. Balabhadraka (K. 119 Balabhadra) 127
Boloramo. Balarāma 153, 193
Bordomono. Vardhamāna 127
Borano. Varuna 128, 157
Boudo. Budha 128
Bozono. K. 117 Bhojana 127
Brame. Brāhmana passim, Fem. Brammenatique 118
Bramma. Brahmā 110, 113
Brammandou. Brahmānda 113
Brammosari. Brahmacāri 138
Bregou. Bhrgu 128
Brindabonon. Vrndāvana 151, 152, 153
Bringui. Bhrngi 126
Briospoti (Bruospoti). Brhaspati 115, 128
Brommoza. Brahmaja (Brahmaputra?) 112
Brozokouto (Broxokouto). K. 113 Vajrakuta 122
Casta, kāsthā 131
Chabitri. K. 114 Sāvitri 122
Chako. Sāka (dvīpa) See Choko 112
Chalmouli. Sälmali (dvīpa) 112, 126
Chama (Vedan). Sama (veda) 114, 115, 203
Chib. Siva passim
Chindou. Sindhu 112
Chinguolo. Simhala 112
Chojonboumoumou. Svayambhumanu 135 See Chuajanbou Mounou
Choko. Saka (dvïpa) See Chako 127
Cholko. Sukla (?) (K. 112 Candrasukla) 112
Chomo. Soma 128
Choni. Sani 128
Chonkio. Sāmkhya 138
Chono. Sona 112
Chonot Sanat 129 See Koumaro
Chontono (Chantono). Samtāna (?) 129
Chopori (Chapori). saphari 144
Chornoprosto. Svarnaprastha 112
Chorosboti (Sorosboti). SarasvaG 113, 164, 165
Chosti. Sacī 129
Choto. sattva 116, 148
Chotogun. sattvaguna 117
Choutre. Sudra 117, 118, 139, 178; Fem. Choutresse 117
Chouzomeni. Suyamanī (?) (K. 95 Samyamanī, Susamyamī) 140
Chrixnobenna. K. 68 Krsnavenī 112
Chrixnou. Krsna passim
Chuajanbou Mounou. Svīyambhumanu 132 See Chojonboumounou
Chuarguam (Chvarguam). svarga passim
Chubodra. Subhadrā 193
Chueto (Chuelo). Sveta (K. 117 Sukla) 127
Chumantou (Chumontou). Sumantu passim
Chumerou. Sumeru 121, 122, 124
Chuparchodo. K. 93 Supārsva 118
Chuporbo. Suparva (?) (K. 113 Suparna) 122
Chupronia (Suproma). ? (K. 114 Suprabhātā) 122
Churoza. Surasā 112
Churubi. Surabhi 161
Chutolo. Sutala 140
Concho. Kamsa 152,153
Condrajonon. Cāndrāyana 157
Condrobacha. Candravasā 112
Coucha. kusa 127
Coucho. Kusa (dvïpa) 112, 126, 127
Courou Borcho. Kuruvarsa 112
Damodoro. Dāmodara 112
Debohuti (Debohuty). Devahuti 135,136
Diti. Diti 122, 127, 128, 181
Doiboki. Daivakī 152,153
Dokinajonon. Daksinäyana 129
Dokio. Daksa113, 114,132
Dokio Prosapoti (Prozapoti). Daksa Prajvpati 113, 133, 140
Dorchono. Darsana 126
Dourba. darbha 169
Dourgua (Dourga). Durgā 110, 113, 140, 157, 167, 177
[Ezour Vedan (Vedam) 107, 114, 115
Gajoka. Gäyakä (?) 129
Ganga. Ganga Also Gange 112, 120, 198
Gobordono. Govardhana 112
Godabori. Godāvan 112
Godadori. Gadädhari (? Godadoro?) 199
Goja. Gayā 198 (giant); 199, 202 (town)
Gokoulan. Gokula 152,153
Gondoki. Gandaki (K. 93 Gandhamädana; Gandaki is a river) 119
Gondopoty. Gandhavati 108
Gonecho. Ganesa 110, 125, 126, 179
Gourou. Guru 128, 133, 138
Grio. ? (K. 117 Ghrtacyut) 127
Gritopristo. Ghrtaprstha 127
Hironnio. Hiranya (K. 113 Hiranyasthīva) 122
Hironnio (Hyrannio, Hyronnio). Hiranya 133, 134, 182
Hironnio Kochiopo. Hiranyakasipu 182
Holaholon. Halāhala 164
Houhour. Huhu (?) 32
Ichana. Isāna 127
Idonosito. ? (BhāgP 5.20.2: Idhmajihva) Idmosibo? 122
Indro. Indra passim
Indrodoumeno. Indradyumna 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193
Indrokouto. Indrakuta (K. 113 Indrasena) 122
Indroniloko. Indranīlaka (K. 110 Indranila) 112
Kadrapia. Kadru (?) 140
Kalokia. Kālā (?) 140
Kançoni. Kāncanī 127
Karona. Kāranā (?) (Dubois 636 Karona) 125
Kartiko. Kārttika (month) 204
Kartiko. Kārttika (god) 125, 126, 179
Keilassan (Keïlassan). Kailäsa 124, 125, 126, 128, 177, 178
Kessora. khecara 161
Ketou. Ketu 167
Ketouman. Ketumat (?) (K. 93 Ketumāla) 118
Kil Kil. kilakila 126
Kochiopo. Kasyapa 122, 123, 128, 161, 162, 181
Kodonbo. Kadamba 118
Kodurgito. (Dubois 635 Kadurgita) 126
Kolpo. kalpa(druma) 129, 161, 193, 195, 198, 199, 202
Konoko. kanaka 193
Kopilo. Kapila (K. 116, a mountain) 127
Kopilo. Kapila 135, 136
Kordomo. Kardama 135
Kormoketro. Karmaksetra 112
Koubero. Kubera 128
Koumaro. Kumara 129 See Chonot
Krohonso. Kraunca(dvïpa) 112, 127
Lakchimi. Laksmi 124, 164, 165, 167, 193
Linguam (Lingam). Linga 176, 177, 178, 179, 180
Lobo, lava 131
Logou. laghu 131
Lonka. Lanka 112
Mago. Māgha 157
Magoudechan. Magadhadesa (?) 197
Mallioban. K. 93 Mālyavat 118
Markondeo. Mārkandeya (lake) 189
Markondeo. Mārkandeya 147, 190, 191
[Marmelle. Aegle Marmelos, bilva 178
Medatiti. Medhātithi 129
Meguomalasso. K. 113 Meghamāla 122
Menoka. Menakā 129
Merou. Meru 112, 118, 119, 126, 129
Modoura. Mathurā 152, 153
Mohanodi. Mahānadī 197, 199
Mohatolo. Mahātala 140
Mohendro. Mahendra 112
Mohini. Mohini 167, 169
Moinako. Maināka 112
Molojo. Malaya 112
Mondagni. Mandākim 129
Mondoro. Mandara (mountain) 118, 163
Mondoro. mandara (tree) 129
Mongolo. Mangala 128
Monguoprosto. K. 62 Mañgalaprastha (Monguoloprosto?) 112
Morisi. Marīd 133
Mortion. Martya 112
Mounikouto. Manikuta 122
Mounou. Manu 113, 133
Muhurto. muhurta 131
Narajon. Nārāyana 122, 125, 136, 163, 190
Narodo. Nārada 114
Nilo. Nīla 146, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192
Nilokonto. Nīlakantha 164
Niogrodo. nyagrodha 118
Niringuo. Nrsimha 182
Nondi. Nandi 152, 153
Nondo. Nanda 126
Obata. ? (K. 68 Avatodā) 112
Odibouto. ? (BhāgP 5.20.31 adhipati; DevibhagP 8.13.33 adhipa) 127
Oditi. Aditi 122, 123, 128, 129, 181
Odorbo (Vedan). Atharva (veda) 114, 115
Odri. adri (K. 121 Mānasottara) 127
Ojonon. ayana 129
Omritohuguo. K. 118 Amrtaughā 127
Onguira. Angirās 115, 133
Onguiro. K. 114 Ängirasī 122
Oniroudo. Aniruddha 124
Onnopourna. Annapuma 193
Onogo. K. 120 Anaghā 127
Onu. anu 131
Onumontou. Hanuman 112
Oricha. Orissa 188
Otolo. Atala 140
Otri. Atri 133
Oucha. Usā(s) 124
Ougrocheno. Ugrasena 152, 153
Oum. Om 137
Oupobedan. Upaveda 204
Oupoborchono. K. 117 Upabarhana 127
Ourbochi. Urvasï 129
Ourou. Uru° (K. 119 Uruvga) 127 See Seringuo
Outkolodechan. Utkaladesa 188
Outorajonon. Uttarāyana 129
Para Bramma. Parabrahmā 154
[Paria 118,193
Paripatro. Pāripātra 112
Parvati. Pārvatī 125
Patalan. Pātāla 112, 123, 140
Pelokio. Plaksa(dvïpa) 112, 121, 122
Poilo. Paila 115
Ponco. Pañca (K. 112 Pañcajanya; EzV omits no. 5: Mandaraharina, in BhāgP and DevībhāgP lists; hence Ponço must be separated from Zonnio, to maintain a total of eight) 9 Ponfosura. Pancacuda 129
Poncotopo. pañcatapa(s) 157
Porizatoko. Pārijātaka 129
Porom. parama 185
Poromajou. Paramāyu(s) 185
Poromanou. paramānu 131
Poulastoudou. Pulastya 133
Poulomo. Puloman 129
Pouranan. Purāna 109, 118
Pourouchottomo. Purusottama (mountain) 188
Pourouchottomo. Purusottama (town) 193, 194, 198
Pouxkoro. Puskara(dvïpa) 112, 127
Prioboito. ? (BhāgP 5.20.2 Priyavrata) (Priobroto?) 122